Disclosure: I was sent a container of Sunwarrior Classic Plus protein powder to review. I am not otherwise being compensated for this post. All opinions are my own.
The weather finally has taken a turn here in the Midwest. We were experiencing a bit of an Indian summer through September and October, but we now are experiencing true fall–bright, but blustery days with a distinct chilly bite in the air.
I love running in the fall, but I do not love pushing the double jogging stroller in 20+ mph winds! So, I’ve taken my workouts to the gym…which means I’m not so chilled that I can’t enjoy a post-workout smoothie!
Representatives on behalf of Sunwarrior offered to send me a container of their Classic Plus protein powder in exchange for some play on my blog, and they challenged me to do more than simply review the product.
Of course, my first thought was smoothies. But then, my next thought was that smoothies are reserved for the summer.
Wait…what if we changed up the smoothie game with classic fall and winter flavors and/or fall and winter produce? Out with the fresh berries and tropical flavors and in with the apple, pumpkin, cranberry, pomegranate, and sunny Southern citrus and the warm, spicy flavors!
So what is Sunwarrior?
- Great-tasting, raw, plant-based proteins that are perfect for muscle-building, weight-loss, recovery, and more.
- Superfood supplements like greens, whole food vitamins, and liquid minerals.
- Always free of GMOs, chemicals, acids, solvents, dairy, gluten, or anything artificial.
- Silky smooth and delicious additions that enhance your smoothies and your life with nothing to slow you down!
I tossed around a few flavor combinations–apple-cinnamon, pumpkin spice, even peppermint mocha–but I landed on one of my favorite tastes.
My cranberry-orange smoothie combines the classic Thanksgiving flavors of cranberry and orange with vanilla Sunwarrior protein powder and old-fashioned oats for staying power and a shot of protein and fiber.
1/2 cup milk (skim, almond, or soy)
1/2 scoop Sunwarrior Classic Plus protein powder – vanilla flavor
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
Zest of one orange
2 small-medium oranges, peeled and segmented (about 1 cup)
1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the milk, protein powder, and oats in the pitcher of a blender and let stand (while you peel and segment the orange). [This allows the protein powder to “dissolve” a bit and the oats to soften a bit.]
- Add the orange zest, oranges, cranberries, cinnamon, and vanilla and blend until smooth. [Because of the inherent texture of fresh cranberries, this smoothie will never be truly smooth; a higher-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, might blitz through them better than a standard blender.]
This smoothie has that wonderful, almost nostalgic cranberry-orange flavor with a hint of sweetness from the vanilla-flavored protein powder. It has a unique texture, because of the oats and cranberries, and it clocks in at fewer than 300 calories. It makes a perfect post-workout snack or light breakfast.
Now, it’s your turn! Share your own fall or winter smoothie recipe in the comments. Three randomly-selected people will win a Sunwarrior starter pack.
Edited to add: The giveaway expires Dec. 4.