Bayshore Marathon training — Weeks 13 and 14

27 Apr

Sorry for the hiatus! My laptop crashed; I recovered all of my files, but I have not been able to download and install Windows Live Writer.

I was sick and skipped most of my runs in Week 13, and I still wasn’t back to 100 percent but I got in all of my workouts for Week 14, including my 18-miler.

Here’s how it broke down:

  • Monday, April 13: yoga rest
  • Tuesday, April 14: 4-mile run — 4. miles, TIME/PACE. Completed mid-morning, with Christopher pushing the stroller and me with the dog.

I stayed home from work because my head was so fuzzy, that I feared working at the computer all morning might only make it worse. I opted for a run (adrenaline is a natural decongestant), though, and I slogged through it.

  • Wednesday, April 15: Zumba mowing the lawn — 45 min.
  • Thursday, April 16: rest gardening — 60 min.
  • Friday, April 17: rest
  • Saturday, April 18: 18-mile run — 13.6 miles, 2:25:37/10:42 pace. Completed while the girls took their afternoon nap, about 12:45 p.m.

I was slated to mark my 30th birthday with an 18-mile run, but I was miserable, and the weather was less than perfect (cool and windy, again).

Christopher tackled the full distance with me, and we went even a bit farther than we planned because my RunKeeper app locked up and had to be restarted, so we were turning around based on time, rather than an accurate distance.

This run was nothing short of discouraging. My time (average pace) suggests it wasn’t too bad, but my body said otherwise. I coughed and wheezed. I blew snot rockets and spit wads to clear my nasal passages and throat. My arms were freezing. My feet hurt. My legs ached.

I wanted nothing more than to run 18 miles and be an absolute rock star on my big birthday, but I felt so exhausted, mentally, physically, and emotionally. I still managed about a half marathon, though. I tried to remind myself that that was an accomplishment, given the circumstances.

  • Sunday, April 19: rest
  • Monday: yoga — 40 min.

I returned to the yoga for runners video, and I was so glad to stretch out my running-weary muscles.


  • Tuesday: 5-mile run — 49:08/9:50 pace. Completed on the treadmill while the girls took their afternoon nap, about 12:30 p.m.

Gale-force winds forced me indoors to the treadmill. I did an increasing-speed interval workout, with a mile warm-up and a mile cool-down. I felt so proud of myself for getting the lead out after a crummy week.

  • Wednesday: Zumba — 45 min. Class at the Y.

I returned again to Zumba at the gym, and I was so glad for the fun, sweaty class.

  • Thursday: 9-mile run mowing the lawn — 60 min.


  • Friday: rest 9-mile run — 9.16 miles, 1:33:10/10:11 pace. Completed in the afternoon, first alone, then with Christopher, the girls, and Dexter.

I went out way too fast and paid for it with side stitches and labored breathing. I settled into a more comfortable pace, and I took a few walk breaks. My splits: 8:21, 9:31, 9:50, 11:03, and 11:04.

Christopher and the girls joined me for the last 4 miles, and we fought off Friday-afternoon school traffic, while managing to maintain a good clip; we took one walk break. Our splits: 9:47, 10:07, 11:39, and 10:26.


  • Saturday: 12-mile run 18-mile run — 18.05 miles, 3:18:49/11:01 pace. Completed while the girls took their afternoon nap, about 12:15 p.m.

I set out to run at least 12 miles, probably 15 miles, but hopefully 18 miles. The weather was nice — breezy, but sunny and in the mid- to upper 50s — and Mucinex had mostly knocked out my cough and chest congestion, so I was feeling better.

I ran the first 12.5 miles by myself, then Christopher pushed the girls in the stroller, and I took Dexter (until he pulled too much on the downhills for my aching knees to keep up) for the last 5.5 miles. I did that first leg entirely on the local trails, running from the north end of Sterling to the southeastern edge of Sterling, then across the Rock River to the south end of Rock Falls.

I ate a few Honey Stingers around Mile 4, then again around Mile 7, Mile 9 and Mile 11. I sipped Gatorade as needed.

Miles 1-4: 9:15, 9:27, 9:49, 11:03

Miles 5-8: 9:45, 9:59, 10:46, 9:53

Miles 9-12: 11:31, 10:59, 11:59, 11:35

The girls still were asleep when I got home, so I took some time to stretch, drink water and have a Jell-O cup. They stirred, and I headed back out. Christopher and the girls caught up with me around Mile 2.

We did the second leg on the local trails, which was quite a challenge, given we were tackling some monster hills in the double-digit miles of my run.

Miles 13-15: 11:16, 11:27, 11:47

Miles 16-18: 13:40 (walk break), 11:58, 12:09

I cannot believe I actually did it. I recovered with popsicles and the biggest Orange Julius ever. The girls, of course, insisted we play outside the rest of the night, and of course, insisted Mama push them around in their wagons. My burnin’ legs!

This run went a long way in boosting my confidence, dispelling my doubts and generally just easing my mind about the marathon, which now is just 4 weeks away!

  • Sunday: rest

On the docket for this week:

  • Today – yoga
  • Tuesday – 5-mile run
  • Wednesday – Zumba
  • Thursday – 10-mile run
  • Friday – rest
  • Saturday – 20-mile run
  • Sunday – rest

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: