Bayshore Marathon training – Week 8

15 Mar

Spring has unofficially sprung! The weather was near perfect for running (and bonus walking) this week.

Here’s how it all went down:

  • Monday: Yoga – 45 min. This video. Completed after the girls were asleep.

This 45-minute yoga/strength-building for runners video was a nice change of pace from the Yoga Meltdown and Yoga for the Warrior videos. It was slower, more deliberate, but still very challenging.

I opted for this over the other two yoga flow routines to force myself to stretch and strengthen my overworked running muscles after 12 miles Saturday and in anticipation of 13 miles this coming Saturday. I think it paid off.


Bonus: 2-mile walk – 34:35/17:19 pace. Completed with the girls in the stroller and Dexter on the leash, about 3:45 p.m.

  • Tuesday: 3-mile run – 3.17 miles, 29:38/9:20 pace. Completed while the girls took their afternoon nap, about 12:30 p.m.

Hooray for outdoor running weather! It was about 40 degrees, with light wind – perfect for a speedy 5K.

I leashed up the dog and set out to run without a walk break. I clocked in at an average pace of 9:20 per mile, 3 seconds faster than last week on the treadmill; Dexter actually ran a bit behind me for the last half-mile or so. A solid run, no doubt.

Bonus: 1.82-mile walk – 29:47/16:21 pace. Completed with the girls in the stroller, about 4:45 p.m.

  • Wednesday: Zumba – 45 min. Class at the Y.

Whew, the instructor was off her game, so most of us in class were doing the Elaine Benes. I still managed to get a decent workout, though.


  • Thursday: 6-mile run – 59:58/10:00 pace. Completed while the girls took their afternoon nap, about 12:30 p.m.

It was beautiful outside, save for a rather stuff 10 mph wind. The sunshine definitely spurred me on to a pretty swift 6-mile run.

I took a different route, in anticipation of logging more miles outside of our neighborhood as runs get longer over the coming weeks. I headed south to the river, then east on the trail the runs through a couple of parks along the river, and I liked that the trail would present a challenge (read: hills).

I felt great throughout the run except for the first mile or two, when I struggled with a twinge in my chest. I’ve been dealing with some kind of very minor sinus bug this week, so my nose is intermittently runny or congested, and my passages are draining, which makes breathing slightly difficult and uncomfortable; I slogged through it though, the exertion of my run temporarily relieving my symptoms.

The first half of my run was really fast: 9:20, 9:22, and 10:05 were my splits. The second half was a bit slower, on account of the hills and a short walk break: 11:00, 10:31, and 9:38 were my splits.

Bonus: 2.5-ish-mile walk. Completed with the girls in the stroller (and a friend for about half of it), about 4:30 p.m.

  • Friday: Body Pump rest

I skipped class in favor of not completely ripping apart my muscles ahead of a 13-mile run.


  • Saturday: 12.76-mile run – 2:12:04/10:21 pace. Completed while the girls took their afternoon nap, about 12:45 p.m.

It was another beautiful day for a run, again save for a decently stiff wind. My mom was in town, so she held down the fort, which allowed Christopher to join me for all 13 miles of this run. He set a good pace and silently motivated me to maintain it throughout the run. We stopped only at traffic lights and between legs to drop off the dog, eat a handful of Honey Stingers, and drink some water.

We took to the trail through Sinnissippi Park and Hoover Park for our first leg (7.6 miles), then the roads in our neighborhood for our second leg (5.16 miles).

Miles 1 and 2 were nice and fast at 9:21 and 9:29, respectively. Miles 3-5 were slower, on account of the hills and a stiff headwind, at 10:06, 10:21, and 10:12. Miles 6-8 were about the same, at 10:22, 10:22, and 10:25.

Mile 9 was a bit faster at 10:16, and mile 10 was a bit slower at 10:25. I was starting to feel sore and sluggish, and I was craving a walk break, but I knew we only had 3 miles left, and I knew we had not yet stopped to walk, so I pressed on. I wanted to be able to say I ran all 13 miles without a stop.

Mile 11 was the slowest one at 11:17;  it was around this time that my left knee started hurting. I winced with almost every step, but I pushed through in the event it was just some long-mileage discomfort. I was right, and I felt better within about a mile.

Miles 12 and 13 were faster (11:05 and 10:53), likely because we were close to home and, thus, almost done.

I cannot believe a) I ran 13 miles without a purposeful walk break, and b) I ran 13 miles at 10:21 pace. I really am trying to embrace the notion of being comfortable with being uncomfortable. I typically would have taken a walk break every 4 miles or so, or at least when my knee was bothersome, or when my chest hurt…but I just did not give in to temptation. And you know what? I survived. And I have a pretty sweet time to show for it.

(Major props to Christopher for making the jump from short and middle distances to 13 big ol’ miles this weekend. He is paying for it a bit today, but I could never repay him for it; his company and his silent motivation mean the world to me. <3)

On the docket for this week:

  • Tomorrow – yoga
  • Tuesday – 3-mile run
  • Wednesday – Zumba
  • Thursday – 7-mile run
  • Friday – Body Pump
  • Saturday – 10-mile run
  • Sunday – rest

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: