Four months

14 Dec

Written Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2013, and Thursday, Dec. 12, 2013; photo taken Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2013

Four months

(Anna left, Elise right)

Four months. Seriously?! Four months. It seems unbelievable.

Anna and Elise are growing and changing so fast. We are starting to really see their personalities and idiosyncrasies emerge. They are smiley, chatty and almost-giggly little girls who continue to amaze us with how much they steal our hearts.

Girls toys (Elise left, Anna right)

Likes: Grabbing or holding onto things; swatting at their toys; sticking their fingers/hands in their mouths; chewing on mommy’s and daddy’s fingers; gumming or chewing on their Taggies elephant and hippo and Sophie the Giraffe; watching/listening to “Sesame Street” songs on YouTube.

IMG_20131203_175625 (Anna right, Elise left)

Dislikes: Being hungry; eating together; tummy time; being put down/not being held; having their winter hats and mittens put on.

20131203_190424 (They had fallen asleep in my lap watching “The Muppet Christmas Carol” on YouTube while we waited for daddy to get home for bedtime.)

Weights: Anna is 9 lbs, 11 oz, and Elise is 9 lbs, 12 oz, both up a little more than a pound from last month.

Lengths: Both girls are 23 inches long.


(Elise left, Anna right)

Milestones: Positively, they slept “through the night” twice, on Nov. 10 and 11, going 8 1/2 and 9 hours, respectively, between their last feeding before bed and their first wakeup; it was amazing. They did it again on Dec. 4, when they woke up only at 4:15 a.m.

They sit up with support and seem to enjoy it. They also both held their bottles during a middle-of-the-night feeding last weekend; it wasn’t a genuine self-feeding, but it was darn impressive.

Also, Anna and Elise were baptized on Sunday in a beautiful, simple and lighthearted ceremony at our new church.


(From left, Christopher’s best friend Jason, Anna’s godfather; me with Anna; Christopher with Elise; my cousin Lisa, Elise’s godmother; and my brother Kyle, Elise’s godfather. Not pictured is my best friend Valerie, Anna’s godmother, who is only 2 weeks from her due date!)

Negatively, they are going through some major cognitive development, a growth spurt and, perhaps, the so-called “4-month sleep regression”; they haven’t slept through the night in a week, and they woke every 45 minutes or so until we fed them between 11 p.m. and midnight Friday, then woke every 3 to 3 1/2 hours. (It’s gotten a bit better. The last couple of days have been much better, in fact.)

They both are suddenly more fussy, more distracted while eating (which aggravates mommy) and more clingy.

Also, they are drooling and gumming/chewing on everything, which has us convinced they might be teething soon. But they do not yet roll over, which is slightly concerning; they’re so close, though.

Eating: A combination of breast milk and formula. The girls nurse, then take a supplemental bottle that, during the day is 50/50 breast milk and formula and at night is all formula. They only have about 6 oz of formula per day.


(Anna left, Elise right rocking baby jeans!)

Wearing: Only a couple of items of newborn-sized clothing, but mostly 0-3 and 3-month clothing; folded cloth diapers during the day with diaper covers and size 0 all-in-one snap-up fleece diapers at night (now on a bigger snap).

20131121_183736 (Anna left, Elise right)

Nicknames: Anna Banana, Elisey Bean, Peanut, Li’l Sweetie, Goober, Goobs, Super Chunk.

Ever wonder what a typical day is like for a mommy and daddy of 4-month-old twins? Well, here’s your answer:

12:15 a.m. The girls wake us up for their first overnight feeding. They had their 4-month immunizations the day before, so we take their temperatures and give them each 1.25 mL of baby Tylenol to bring down their very mild fevers. Christopher changes diapers and then makes supplemental bottles while I nurse them for about 20 minutes. We give them their bottles, burp them then rewrap them in their SleepSacks, and we rock them back to sleep.

1:02 a.m. Christopher and I crawl back into bed.

5:14 a.m. The girls wake us up for another feeding. We go through the same routine.

5:54 a.m. We again crawl back into bed.

7:30 a.m. Elise wakes up. Christopher grabs her out of the crib and brings her into bed with us.

8:24 a.m. Elise stirs. Christopher and I are awake now, too. We fetch Anna out of the crib to keep the girls on the same schedule.

8:40 a.m. Elise feels warm to the touch, so I take her temperature. She’s running a mild fever, so I give her another dose of baby Tylenol.

8:49 a.m. I devour two homemade lemon scones while Christopher changes diapers.

8:58 a.m. The girls nurse for their first feeding of the day. We go through the same routine as overnight, except the girls don’t nurse as long, so we’re done within about a half-hour.

9:30 a.m. I shower, make the bed, get laundry started, hang diapers to dry and let Dexter outside, all while Christopher watches the girls.

9:57 a.m. Christopher showers while I watch the girls.

10:30 a.m. Christopher changes diapers. We wrap them in their SwaddleMe blankets and get them down for a nap in the crib—the first time they would successfully nap in the crib.

10:43 a.m. I get out of the house—to Menards to pick up some cold medicine on sale. I also make a phone call for a freelance article while in the parking lot, where my cell phone gets good service. I don’t interview the woman, though, because she doesn’t pick up the phone.

11:15 a.m. The girls wake up from their nap. We bathe them and give them new diapers and fresh clothes for the day.

11:30 a.m. The girls eat again.

11:51 a.m. My interview subject calls back, but I can’t answer the phone. I let it go to voicemail.

12:02 p.m. We wrapped up the feeding, so I duck into the kitchen with my laptop and interview the woman.

1:05 p.m. We get the girls down for another nap. I duck out of the house again—this time, to Dairy Queen to pick up some lunch. Christopher and I enjoy a quiet lunch together before the girls wake up.

1:45 p.m. The girls wake up from their nap. Christopher changes diapers, then they eat again.

2:35 p.m. We turn on “Extreme Christmas Trees” on Netflix and hang out with the girls.

3:07 p.m. We do tummy time with the girls.

3:37 p.m. I catch up on Facebook on my phone.

3:45 p.m. We get the girls down for another nap, and Christopher and I have some private time. We catch up on social media, then I rotate the laundry, fold diapers and fill out the baby calendar.

4:36 p.m. The girls wake up from their nap—the last one of the day. I fold the baby laundry, while Christopher changes diapers.

4:52 p.m. The girls eat again, but they don’t get a supplemental bottle, so they are hungry for their last meal of the night, so we’re done within about 20 minutes. We turn on “Becoming Santa” on Netflix.

5:45 p.m. Elise feels warm to the touch and is running a mild fever again, so I give her another dose of baby Tylenol. She’s also pooped a few more times than her sister, so we giver her some Pedialyte to keep her hydrated.

The girls get fussy/whiny, but we do our best to entertain them and hold out until it’s time to undertake the bedtime routine about 6:30 or 7 p.m.

6:25 p.m. The girls have their last meal before bed, but it doesn’t go very well because the girls are distracted and fussy, so they hardly eat. (This would be the beginning of some rough sledding for us as far as meals and moods go. But that’s a story for next month!)

We take them to the nursery, where we get them into their overnight diapers and their pajamas. We wrap them in their SleepSacks, then read them book. We rock them and sing them a couple of songs before their both fast asleep in our arms.

They’re asleep in the crib by 7:30 p.m.

7:33 p.m. I wash bottles, pacifiers and other things. Christopher gets a load of white diapers started in the washer. He also runs to the store.

7:48 p.m. I heat up dinner—leftovers from the baptism brunch last weekend.

7:51 p.m. Christopher and I eat dinner and watch the end of “Christmas Vacation” on TV.

8:08 p.m. Elise cries, so Christopher ducks into the nursery to rock her back to sleep.

9:40 p.m. I pump for a bit to have a supply of breastmilk for the next day.

10:11 p.m. We change into our pajamas and crawl into bed.

4 Responses to “Four months”

  1. katielookingforward December 16, 2013 at 8:30 am #

    Uff Da. Way to go! At the beginning you mentioned you had a sophie, do you have duplicates of a lot of toys so far? Or are they learning to share already? Just a random question 🙂

    • kaylabee18 January 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm #

      Katie, we do have two Sophies. We have two of most things, but they aren’t the same, just similar. In the pics, you’ve probably seen a Taggies elephant and hippo. That’s an example. Basically if it comes in multiple styles, we have two of them, but not the same. 🙂

  2. thebabydoctorswife December 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm #

    First of all, I don’t know how you tell them apart. They are so darn cute and look so much alike to me!

    Wow, your day sounds intense. Being at home is hard work! You are doing great as always!

    • kaylabee18 January 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm #

      LOL We have our tricks. More and more, Elise looks like Christopher, so that’s a giveaway, I guess. And yes, the day is intense. But yours is too, no doubt, with the older kiddos thrown in there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: