Written Friday, July 26 2013
How Big are the Babies?
My sources say the babies are as big as coconuts or honeydew melons this week, measuring more than 18 inches, head to heel, and weighing more than 5 pounds.
How I’m Changing
I’ve made it to week 35 – the length of the average twin pregnancy – and I’m here to tell about it!
I have this hunch these girls and I are in this for the long(er) haul…at least a couple more weeks.
I don’t seem to be getting bigger, so the girls don’t have a lot of room to move around in there – but they continue to wiggle around.
But I do continue to have my other “symptoms” – carpal tunnel, fatigue, aches and pains, which now are coming in the low back and low abdomen, occasionally.
How I’m Feeling/What I’m Thinking
I entered “testing” this past week; I have to go to the hospital for non-stress tests twice a week every week until delivery.
We went Monday and Thursday. The nurse first did an ultrasound to monitor movement and practice breathing, as well as to check the girls’ positions, the amount of amniotic fluid and the condition of the placentas. She then strapped a couple of monitors to my belly to measure heart rates and contractions. The girls and I got an A+ both days.
I have a new concern, though, as of this week: I seem headed for a C-section.
Baby A is breech – she was on Monday and Thursday and still feels that way today – while Baby B is more transverse. Neither one is in a position to facilitate a vaginal delivery.
I’m so bummed. Obviously, the girls will arrive happy and healthy, vaginal birth or C-section. But still, I’m really bummed.
I don’t know what to expect – I’ve never had major surgery in my life! I don’t know how I’ll react to the drugs. I’m petrified of the sterile operating room environment. I hate that I’ll have a scar and a longer recovery.
I know there is still a small, small chance Baby A could flip…but I also know, if she doesn’t, then there isn’t much I can do.
Amy reminded me that I am still birthing those babies, even if it is via a C-section, and she even noted that my path might be a bit harder and scarier…which was some comfort. But I still feel gypped.
- Weight gained (to date): 32 lbs.
- Workouts: Three – all walks around the neighborhood with Christopher and Dexter.
- Food aversions: Still none!
- Food cravings: Pizza.
- Maternity items purchased: None.
- Baby items purchased: Books from Goodwill.
- Baby items received: A couple of gifts from friends.
- Pieces of artwork made for the nursery: Six. I can’t wait to take pictures of the final product and show off this special space. I love it so much.
- Friends who visited us: Andrew, who we haven’t seen since our wedding, and Valerie and her husband, Andy, who are expecting their first baby in December.
- Friends who we visited: Angel and Christina, who welcomed their first baby a few weeks ago.
- Next prenatal appointment: Monday, 35 1/2 weeks, when we actually have three appointments – an ultrasound, a routine checkup and a non-stress test.