Written Friday, July 19, 2013
How Big are the Babies?
My sources say the babies are as big as cantaloupes or butternut squash this week, measuring almost 18 inches, head to heel, and weighing about 4 3/4 pounds.
How I’m Changing
Blah blah blah tired. Blah blah blah uncomfortable. Blah blah blah hungry.
This week, the girls have made tap-dancing on my cervix their pastime. It feels so weird and sends a bolt of lightning through my body.
Also this week, the Braxton Hicks contractions have slowed but seem stronger and to last a bit longer.
How I’m Feeling/What I’m Thinking
First, our doctor appointment Wednesday was quick but went well. The doctor still thinks I look great and he, like he always does, tells me I’m doing a good job. I’m measuring at 39 weeks, the girls’ heart rates are around 150 bpm, and I’m now in “testing.”
Every week from now on, I have to go to the hospital for non-stress tests. They’ll strap a couple of monitors to my belly, one each to measure the girls’ heart rates and movements and one to measure contractions. It’ll give the doctors an idea of how, if at all, things are progressing.
Next, I’ve given my two weeks’ notice at work, which means my last day of work, if nothing happens between now and then, is Friday, Aug. 2. I have two sick days to use, so I’m going to take the next two Mondays (when I have doctor appointments anyway) so I don’t lose the time.
And last, just because it has to be said, I still hate hearing how small I am for carrying twins this far into my pregnancy. Ugh. Seriously, people? Get a new line. Also, there’s a big difference between, “You’re so small. You look great!” and, “You’re so small.” accompanied by a funny look at my belly. And to the cashier at Jo Ann Fabrics? Just because I appear small does not mean my babies are going to come out “dinky.” Yep, that’s right; she said that.
- Weight gained (to date): 31 lbs.
- Workouts: One purposeful long walk last Saturday.
- Food aversions: Still none.
- Food cravings: Watermelon (still…) plus Twizzlers, brownies and pancakes. Think my body wants carbs? Sheesh.
- Maternity items purchased: None, unless you count the few things necessary to pack the hospital bag.
- Baby items purchased: None.
- Baby items received: A few things, including some wall art from Ruth, my mom’s good friend. Oh, and our stroller!
- Baby items assembled: Two. We installed the car seats (just need to have the bases checked by the fire department) and assembled the stroller.
- Episodes of “The West Wing” watched while crafting: More than a dozen… #besttvshowever
- Next prenatal appointment: Monday (today), 34 1/2 weeks.