Written Sunday, July 14, 2013
How Big are the Babies?
My sources say the babies are as big as pineapples or Durian fruits this week, measuring more than 17 inches, head to heel, and weighing a little more than 4 pounds.
(We used pineapples a few weeks ago, and we were not about to find, let alone buy, Durian fruits. So, we opted for large heads of Romaine lettuce. We now have salads for the week!)
How I’m Changing
I hate to sound like a broken record, but these later weeks of pregnancy are all turning out to be very similar: I’m tired, short of breath and bothered by the heat. I have a hard time moving around as well, and I still am dealing with carpal tunnel. My back, hips and feet hurt a lot.
I had a few moments this past week of wishing the girls would just get here already so all these symptoms would go away…but I know they need to bake a while longer.
How I’m Feeling/What I’m Thinking
I am definitely to the point where the weeks are starting to run together and the reality of becoming parents very, very soon is setting in.
The nursery is about 90 percent complete. A couple things need to get take care of yet, and some artwork or decorations need to go on the wall (not a major necessity, of course), then it will be finished. You can see a sneak peek in the photos this week, although we’ll probably take some more formal shots in the next week or two.
This week, I took a breastfeeding class. I’d like to write more about it, but I don’t really feel like there is a ton to say. I learned a little, yes, but not as much as anticipated. My big takeaways were things I already knew: It’s the best thing I can do for my babies; it’s not going to be a cakewalk, but as long as I have support, I can do it; and it’s a good idea to ask for help.
Also this week, after we finally got the part to hook up the gas line to our new dryer, I did a ton of baby laundry. All the essentials are washed, just have a few more things to get laundered. I was able to put bedding on the cribs (except the breathable bumper, which was too confusing) and hang up/fold all the clothes.
Finally on Friday, we headed to the Quad Cities to hit up Babies R Us and Target to pick up a few more items, including a thermometer and nail clippers and knobs for our redone dresser.
It’s really all starting to come together. Many people will be glad to know that just as I am running out of energy, I am running out of projects to tackle.
- Weight gained (to date): 32 lbs.
- Workouts: At least one purposeful long walk, but plenty of walking around stores and such.
- Food aversions: Still none.
- Food cravings: Watermelon and homemade ice cream…again!
- Maternity items purchased: None.
- Baby items purchased: Thermometer, nail clippers, comb/brush, all-natural diaper cream and a diaper pail.
- Baby items received: A few things came, but mostly over the weekend, aka, week 34.
- Days waking up before my alarm with pain in my hands, wrists or arms: Three.
- Compliments received on my appearance and energy level this late in the game: One – with a big hug – from a near complete stranger. (I interviewed this lady for a story for our upcoming agriculture magazine.)
- Brewers games watched once we got Internet on Thursday: Just one.
- Bug bites sustained during an impromptu work get-together at our place Friday night: At least a half-dozen. Likely more.
- Next prenatal appointment: Wednesday, 33 weeks and 5 days.